Bae Jun-ho Doubtful For South Korea Opener Against Czech Republic

Bae Jun-ho and South Korea before the World Cup opener against the Czech Republic in Guadalajara

Bae Jun-ho is unlikely to feature when South Korea open against the Czech Republic in Guadalajara on Thursday. The Stoke City playmaker is still recovering from an ankle injury. He suffered that problem in the 5-0 win over Trinidad and Tobago 10 days ago. South Korea now face their first Group A test without much confidence that he will be ready.

The loss matters because Bae is one of the youngest players in Hong Myung-bo’s squad and one of its clearer attacking sparks. He already missed the 1-0 win over El Salvador and has trained on his own since then. The opener against the Czech Republic squad and fixtures now turns into a test of how much South Korea can create without his energy. The first game always carries extra weight in the wider FIFA World Cup 2026 run through Group A — FIFA World Cup 2026.

Bae’s Absence Removes A Younger Edge From Hong’s Attack

Bae was expected to add drive and freshness to a side that had not always looked fluid during Asia’s preliminaries. Hong trusted the 22-year-old to bring more than legs. He also brought a different tempo between midfield and attack. Training alone this close to kickoff suggests the recovery is still short of match pace.

The problem builds on the warning South Korea already saw against El Salvador. They won that friendly, but Bae’s absence reduced their options between the lines. A warm-up win can hide missing details because the pressure stays lower than a tournament opener. The Czech Republic will test those details harder.

South Korea do have tournament memory to lean on. They reached the last 16 in 2022 after Hwang Hee-chan scored a stoppage-time winner against Portugal. That return gives the dressing room proof that one late moment can change a whole group stage. Yet it also shows why they would rather carry every live attacking option into match one.

“If I can have another play like that, it will be great for myself and for our team,” Hwang said. “Every match is important, but the first match is especially so.” His words fit the current mood perfectly. South Korea know the opener can shape the whole week after it.

The Czech Republic Arrive With Form And A More Physical Plan

The Czech Republic come into the match with a clear confidence edge. They have won six straight qualification and friendly matches since the low point that came with defeat to the Faroe Islands late last year. That setback changed the path of their campaign. The appointment of 74-year-old Miroslav Koubek then carried them through the playoffs and back to a World Cup for the first time since 2006.

Koubek’s side look ready to lean into physical pressure. The Czechs may use two-metre striker Tomas Chory as a direct focal point after he scored in the 3-1 tune-up win over Guatemala on June 6. That plan can force South Korea to defend deeper if they lose midfield control. It becomes harder to escape that pressure without a creative runner like Bae.

Koubek has still seen issues he wants removed. After the Guatemala game, he said some defensive choices were not decisive enough and that his players needed to be more assertive in duels. That quote shows the Czechs do not think they are complete yet. They believe, though, that their structure is strong enough to challenge South Korea from the opening whistle.

The match now looks set up around style contrast. South Korea want movement and speed, while the Czechs look ready to force contact and second balls. Bae’s injury tilts that balance a little toward the more physical team. Hong’s selection now needs to restore some of the missing spark.

South Korea Opener IssueVerified Detail
Player ConcernBae Jun-ho remains doubtful because of an ankle injury
Last Match MissedSouth Korea’s 1-0 friendly win over El Salvador
OpenerSouth Korea vs Czech Republic in Guadalajara on Thursday
Czech FormSix consecutive wins in qualifiers and friendlies
Tactical ThreatTomas Chory offers a direct physical option up front

South Korea can still open well without Bae, but they lose a player who was meant to change pace and direction. That is a real issue when the first opponent arrives in strong form. The injury does not decide the result on its own. It does reduce Hong’s room for variation.

The Czechs will read the news as an invitation to make the game heavy and direct. South Korea must answer with cleaner movement from other attackers and sharper work around second balls. The opener already mattered. Bae’s ankle has made it tighter.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why Is Bae Jun-ho Doubtful For South Korea's Opener?

Bae is recovering from an ankle injury suffered in the 5-0 win over Trinidad and Tobago. He has trained on his own and already missed the El Salvador friendly.

Who Do South Korea Face In Their First Match?

South Korea open their World Cup against the Czech Republic in Guadalajara. The match is their first Group A fixture.

Why Does Bae Matter So Much To Hong Myung-bo?

Bae is one of the youngest players in the squad and was expected to add attacking energy. His absence removes one of South Korea’s fresher creative options.

What Form Do The Czechs Bring Into The Opener?

The Czech Republic have won six straight matches across qualification and friendlies. They also used a 3-1 win over Guatemala as their final tune-up.

South Korea still have enough experience to compete, yet Bae’s injury leaves the opener looking more physical and less flexible than Hong would have wanted.

Stay tuned to FWCTimes.com for the latest FIFA World Cup 2026 updates.

Read Also: Chris Richards Returns To Full Training Before US Opener

Sharing is Caring

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *