Antony Speaks After Brazil World Cup Squad Snub
Antony Brazil World Cup squad snub is now a live story because the winger has finally responded after Carlo Ancelotti left him out of Brazil’s final roster. Goal published the reaction on May 20, while AS had already outlined the football case behind the omission when the squad was named on May 18. Put together, the picture is clear. Antony’s numbers at Real Betis gave him hope, but they did not convince Brazil’s new coach.
Goal said Antony reacted with visible disappointment after missing the 2026 squad, while Tribuna reproduced the wording he shared publicly. He wrote, “Of course, I am sad that I won’t be playing for the national team at a second World Cup. But I am at peace, and I’m proud of everything I have achieved up to this point.” He then added the line that drives the entire angle: “I am going to keep working just as hard as I always have, because the dream still lives.”
This reaction matters because the omission did not come after a dead season. AS reported that Antony finished his first full Betis campaign with 14 goals and 10 assists, which is enough production to keep the debate alive. Readers who want the roster side first can revisit Neymar’s latest Brazil profile, because Antony’s statement only makes full sense inside that selection call.
Why Antony Brazil World Cup Squad Snub Still Hurts
Antony is not reacting to a predictable exit after months on the margins. AS made it clear that he kept hope until the final stretch because injuries and late attacking uncertainty left a narrow opening. His numbers at Betis backed that belief. Even an irregular league campaign still ended with output strong enough to force the question.
Goal’s framing adds the emotional side. The article cast the omission as a major blow after Antony rebuilt part of his reputation in Spain. That matters because his recent career arc had started to turn. A player who once looked buried under pressure at Manchester United had rebuilt real value through performances and end product at Betis.
That is why the reaction feels sharper than routine disappointment. Antony had a case, even if it was not a winning case. When a player posts 14 goals and 10 assists and still misses out, the rejection lands harder because it looks like a football judgment rather than a formality.
What Antony’s own words tell us
The strongest part of the story is that Antony did not hide behind vague frustration. He admitted sadness, said he was at peace, and then pivoted straight toward support for the squad and faith in future selection. That is a more controlled response than a grievance post, and it matters because Brazil are entering the tournament under a new coach who will still shape the next cycle.
The wording also protects his next move. By saying the dream still lives, Antony is telling Brazil that the door remains open from his side. That gives his omission a longer arc. It is a setback, not a retirement from the international race.
| Snub Factor | Confirmed Detail | Why It Matters |
|---|---|---|
| Player reaction | Antony said he was sad but at peace | The omission hit him, but he kept the message controlled. |
| Public vow | He said “the dream still lives” | He wants Brazil to see this as a temporary setback. |
| Club output | AS reported 14 goals and 10 assists at Betis | The snub came despite productive numbers. |
| Coach decision | Ancelotti still left him out of the final 26 | The call reflects preference, not only raw output. |
| Wider roster tone | Brazil still included Neymar and other senior attackers | The competition for attacking places stayed brutal. |
Why Ancelotti Still Said No
AS gave the most practical answer. Antony did not feature in Brazil’s latest matches, which cut his leverage at the worst possible time. A player can build a case through club form, but final squad calls often follow trust, familiarity, and tactical fit more than public momentum.
That means Antony was fighting from a weaker internal position than his numbers suggested. Ancelotti had other profiles he trusted more, and Brazil’s attack remains crowded even after several notable omissions. Once that happens, a productive season can still end outside the final list.
Readers comparing the winger’s omission with Brazil’s wider tournament balance can also revisit Carlo Ancelotti’s Brazil coach profile and Brazil’s team page for the full squad picture. The snub looks harsh, but it also fits the logic of a coach choosing shape over noise.
What Happens Next For Antony
The immediate next step is obvious. Antony now has to turn a public disappointment into a cleaner club season and a stronger case for the post-World Cup period. His own statement already points there. He did not burn bridges, and he did not imply the squad call was political. He treated it as a football setback.
That approach may help him more than anger would. Brazil will move into a new competitive period after the World Cup, and several attacking roles could open again. If Antony sustains or improves his Betis output, his statement will read as the start of a comeback story rather than a final rejection.
The pain is real now, but the road is still open. Stay tuned to fwctimes.com for the latest FIFA World Cup 2026 updates.
Frequently Asked Questions
What did Antony say after missing Brazil’s World Cup squad?
He said he was sad not to make a second World Cup, but he was at peace and still believed the dream lived on.
Did Antony have a strong season before the snub?
Yes. AS reported that he ended his first full Betis season with 14 goals and 10 assists.
Why did Ancelotti still leave Antony out?
The final call appears to have favored other attacking options and recent squad trust over Antony’s club numbers.
Does Antony think his Brazil career is over?
No. His public message made clear that he still sees a future path back into the national-team picture.
Read Also: Brazil Name Final World Cup 2026 Squad With Neymar Included
